Preservation of community history is a priority of the Village of Addison. In 1973. the Addison Historical Commission was created. The commission is composed of nine community volunteers who are appointed by the Village Board to serve three year terms. A main duty of the Commission is to work and collaborate with the Addison Historical Society, a 501 c 3 not for profit organization formed in 1974, in providing, maintaining and operating the Addison Historical Museum.
The museum is staffed by one full-time professional employed by the Village of Addison and Historical Society volunteers. The museum is funded by the Village as part of the Community Relations Department and by the Historical Society. The Village and Historical Society cooperatively help govern museum operations, planning, and financial accountability.
Addison Historical Society Board of Directors
John Navrocki, President
Tom Tovello, Vice President
Chris Pudelek, Secretary
Val Loftus, Treasurer
At Large: Thomas Power, Lauretta Schneider
To access the Ethics Policy of the Addison Historical Museum. Please go here.
Addison Historical Museum
Physical Address: 135 W. Army Trail Boulevard
(Mailing Address: 1 Friendship Plaza, Addison, Il 60101
Museum Coordinator: Susan English
For accessibility-related questions, please contact Susan English, Museum Coordinator.
MUSEUM IS OPEN FOR TOURING ON WEDNESDAY AND FRIDAY AFTERNOONS
HOURS: NOON TO 4PM
Face masks are no longer required to be worn inside the historical museum. buildings. However, due to the small footprints of our historical buildings, we encourage visitors to continue to wear a face mask and practice social distancing in our facility.
The Addison Historical Museum is housed in the historic 1892
Balzer House which was originally located on East Lake Street.
It was the home of William Balzer, his wife Marie Heidemann and
their family. Since 1999, it has served as the Addison Historical Museum.
The museum contains artifact and photo displays about local
history. Please call 630- 628-1433 or email the museum at
firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
129 W. Army Trail Boulevard
Built in 1893 as a teachers' home for the Lutheran School, this house was purchased by the Village of Addison in 1993 and hence, got its distinctive name. The Addison Historical Society researched and restored the home to the late 19th to early 20th Century period through the generous donations of the Addison community. Visitors to the museum can experience first hand what it was like to live in Addison at this time.
135 W. Army Trail Boulevard
(Location: Behind Addison Historical Museum)
The Coach House was built by William Balzer in 1932 using lumber from his former tombstone shop and originally stood behind the Balzer House on East Lake Street. Balzer used the building for his Addison Township Clerk office, vehicle storage, and carpentry shop. It was moved to this location in 1999 along with the museum. The first floor contains a recreation of Balzer's clerk office, a diorama of the Addison State Bank, an Addison Railroad display and exhibits on Addison's agricultural heritage. The second floor area includes displays of antique household items and tools.
Museum Vision: Engaging the Community in Addison's History (adopted 11.5.2018)