The Village staff and employees strive to provide the best service possible to our residents, while keeping your property taxes as low as possible.

Your local government – made up of dedicated elected officials and highly qualified staff – works hard to ensure that Addison continues to grow and thrive.  Village services are consistently praised, while being provided with a reasonable tax rate.

More than 36,000 people call the Village of Addison home.  Whether you are new to our community, or have lived here for years, here is some of the information you need to know.  

Addison has been extremely successful at attracting and retaining industry and business within the village due to the proactive and forward-thinking actions of its elected officials. To encourage business and industrial development and facilitate the expansion of existing sites, the village offers a wide variety of economic incentives that are molded to the needs of each individual business seeking a home in Addison.

Whether you are considering calling Addison home, or just visiting for day for pleasure or business, here are some links you might find useful.


Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit. Alias debitis, exercitationem facilis harum ipsam laborum molestiae perferendis rerum tenetur vel!

Text Size



Real Estate Transfers

Before the deed to any property may be transferred, a real estate transfer stamp must be issued.  All processes listed below must be completed before a real estate stamp can be issued.

Sale of Property:

Community Development Department (630) 693-7530 must be contacted in order to:

  1. Obtain a certificate of sewer compliance, dated no more than six months before the day of the closing. An inspection appointment must be set by calling the Community Development Department a minimum of two weeks prior to closing.
  2. Obtain a permit release to ensure there are no outstanding building permits or inspection fees. This can be done by calling the number above.

Finance Department – Water Billing (630) 693-7570

  1. Seller - contact Water Billing to schedule a final water reading, as soon as the closing date has been determined and scheduled. The final water meter reading is done 24 hours before the closing date.
  2. Seller - once the final water bill has been issued it MUST be paid before the real estate transfer stamp can be issued. The final water bill will be ready to be paid by NOON the business day before the closing.
  3. Buyer - must call to pre-register for water service or come in to the Village Hall – Finance Department in person to complete the application for water and sewer service. This must be done as soon as possible before the closing.
  4. Water Billing can NOT issue a final water bill without the buyer’s pre-registration for the water and sewer account.

The Village currently enforces Red Flag Rules for utility accounts.  The Federal Trade Commission issued these regulations for all municipalities as a way to detect, prevent, and mitigate identity theft.  Any resident requesting setup of a water account is now required to present a valid Driver’s License or Government issued State I.D. and an additional form of identification (usually a credit card) to sign up for the water and sewer account. 

Finance Department – Collections Office (630) 543-4100

  1. The seller’s attorney must provide a copy of the Illinois Real Estate Transfer Declaration (Form PTAX-203 or PTAX-203A) that the Village can keep. This document can be emailed to
  2. The seller’s attorney must provide a copy of the drafted deed that the Village can keep. This document can be emailed to

Once these items are completed, the real estate transfer stamp can be issued.  Purchase of the stamp is the buyer’s responsibility, which is at the rate of $2.50 per $1,000.00 of the purchase price of the property.

PLEASE NOTE: If the transfer stamp is lost, FULL PAYMENT will need to be made before a replacement stamp is issued, as it must be repurchased.

Real Estate Transfer Stamp – EXEMPT:

Certain real estate transactions are exempt from the tax levied; however, $.00 transfer stamps must still be obtained from the Village Hall.  These include but are not limited to: Quit Claim Deeds, Deeds going into a Trust, Foreclosures, Sheriff Sales, etc.

A $50 Administrative/Processing fee is required for all exempt real estate transfer stamps.

In order to receive the Exempt Real Estate Transfer Stamp, a sewer inspection, a permit release and final water bill are required as noted above (under sale of property).

The Village Certificate of Exemption form is also needed to issue an Exempt Stamp and with a copy of the Executed Deed (signed and notarized) is also required.

To download a copy of the Certificate of Exemption Form, click here.  It can be completed prior to coming into the Village Hall or you may also obtain a copy of the Exemption Form at the Finance counter inside the Village Hall.

If the name on the deed is changing or not currently on the water account, a new application must be completed by the new owner (responsible party) in order to establish a new water and sewer account.  Two forms of identification will be required as stated above (under sale of property). 

If there is NOT a name change, the current water bill balance will need to be paid before the transfer stamp can be issued.  Please contact Water Billing at (630) 693-7570 if you have any questions.

PLEASE NOTE: Condos are not required to schedule/pay/apply for water and sewer accounts nor sewer/sump pump inspections.  The only requirement is a permit release (see Community Development section for information).

Transfer of Beneficial Interest:

A tax is imposed on the privilege of transferring the beneficial interest in real estate within the corporate limits of the Village at the rate of one dollar and twenty five cents ($1.25) for each five hundred dollars ($500.00) of value or fraction thereof stated in the declaration provided for in the ordinance (Ord. 79-14; 93-60)

To download a copy of the Beneficial Interest Transfer Declaration form, click here.  You may also obtain a copy of the form at the Finance Counter inside the Village Hall.

Payment of such tax shall be denoted by an adhesive stamp.