Real Estate Transfers
Before the deed to any property may be transferred, five things must be completed before a real estate transfer stamp can be issued.
Community Development Department (630) 693-7530
1. A Certificate of Sewer Compliance must be obtained, dated no more than six months before the day of closing. The purpose of the sewer inspection is to assure compliance with Village Ordinance and the Clean Water Act of 1977. This inspection can be set by calling the number above a minimum of two weeks prior to closing.
2. A permit release must be obtained to ensure there are no outstanding building permits or inspection fees.
Finance Department- Water Billing (630) 693-7570
3. Please contact Water Billing at the above number as soon as the closing has been scheduled, because a final water reading must be completed 24 hours before closing. The new owners must come into the Village Hall Finance Department in person to fill out an application to establish water and sewer service. To assist in this process, the new owner can come in and fill out the application once the property is ready to close. Water billing can NOT issue the final water bill without the application to establish water and sewer service. Once the final water bill has been issued, it must be paid before the real estate transfer stamps can be issued.
The Village currently enforces Red Flag Rules for all utility accounts. The Federal Trade Commission issued these regulations for all municipalities as a way to detect, prevent and mitigate identity theft.
Any resident requesting setup of a water account is now required to come into Village Hall, present a valid Driver's License or Government issued State I.D., and an additional form of identification (usually a credit card) and complete an application.
Finance Department – Collections Office (630) 693-7564
4. The seller must provide a copy of the Illinois Real Estate Transfer Declaration (Form PTAX-203 or PTAX-203A) that the village can keep. This document can be faxed to (630) 543-2580.
5. The seller must provide a copy of the executed deed (i.e. signed and notarized) that the Village can keep. This document can be faxed to (630) 543-2580.
Once the five steps are completed, the real estate transfer stamp can be issued. Purchase of the stamp is the buyer's responsibility, which is at a rate of $2.50 per $1,000 of the purchase price of the property.
PLEASE NOTE: If the transfer stamp is lost, FULL PAYMENT will need to be made before a replacement stamp is issued.
Certain real estate transactions are exempt from the tax levied; however, $0.00 transfer stamps must still be obtained from the Village Hall.
A $50 administrative/processing fee is required for all exempt real estate transfer stamps.
In order to receive the Exempt Real Estate Transfer Stamp, a sewer inspection, a permit release and a final water bill are required as noted above.
The Village Exemption form is also needed to issue an Exempt Stamp. To download a copy of the Exemption form so that you may fill it out before coming to Village Hall, click here.
Quit Claim deeds, deeds going into trust and foreclosure/sheriff sale deeds need to have a sewer inspection, permit release and must have a final water bill issued, if the name is changing. If there is not a name change, the current water bill balance will need to be paid before the transfer stamp can be issued. Please contact Water Billing at 630/693-7570 if you have any questions.