Home > Residents >
Building & Zoning > Building
Building Permits: Decks and Sheds
- Decks are permitted in rear yards and must be set back a minimum of 5 feet
from all lot lines, and shall not encroach into any easements.
- The total area of a deck and all other accessory structures shall not
exceed 30 percent of the total rear-yard area.
- All portions of a deck that are more than 30 inches above grade level
shall be provided with a minimum 36-inch high guard railing.
- Enclosed or covered decks are part of the principal structure, similar to
a room addition; the regulations above do not apply.
Sheds and accessory structures
- Sheds are permitted in rear yards only and must be set back a minimum of
10 feet from the house and 5 feet from all lot lines.
- Sheds cannot be constructed upon any utility or drainage easement.
- Sheds shall not be used for the keeping, propagation or culture of
poultry, pigeons or livestock.