Home > Residents >
Building & Zoning > Building
Building Permits: Selecting a Contractor
Your home is your biggest investment, and improvements are an important part
of making that investment grow.
Before you hire any contractor for remodeling, the Village of Addison
Department of Community Development recommends that homeowners take the time to
investigate the contractor, and follow these steps:
- Inquire about the contractor's Workers Compensation and general liability
insurance. They should be adequate to protect you and your property against
lawsuits if an accident should occur during construction.
- Make sure to ask for references, and investigate them thoroughly - check
the quality of design and workmanship yourself.
- Call the local Better Business Bureau or Consumer Affairs Office. They can
alert you to known problems.
- Make sure the contractor has a permanent business location and a good
reputation with suppliers and banks.
- Incorporate any warranties, guarantees or other verbal promises into your
- Be skeptical of an unusually low bid or low advertised price, or a special
discount for allowing your home to be a neighborhood showcase.
- Take your time and select a contractor you are comfortable with, one who
understands your tastes and needs, and with whom you communicate well.
- Before starting work, make sure all necessary permits have been obtained
by either the contractor or yourself.
Many jobs which require a contractor’s help, will also necessitate a
building permit from the Village of Addison Community Development Department.